Raising A Mathematician Training Program
A Mathematics Talent Program for High School Students
Objective: To search and mentor young Mathematical talent (age group 13-15) in the country. Guide them to hone their skills and thinking by giving them the right tools.
Mathematics is an important subject which helps in logical thinking and improves the reasoning-ability of a student. The current global scenario demands individuals to analyze all the possibilities to solving a problem and derive a decision based on the same. Mathematics similarly, enables students to approach situations from different angles and dig out the best possible solution.
The present structure of spotting young mathematical talent is by conducting examinations. And the guidance provided to the many talented students lasts only till the examination hall and does not facilitate a continuous learning. Therefore the learning process remains incomplete, scraping only through the surface of their real potential.
With Raising A Mathematician (RAM), we aim at providing a holistic and complete guidance to talented young teenagers. Our program covers two major aspects of learning – the convergent thinking and the divergent thinking. In convergent thinking we help students understand different scenarios and logically come to a unified conclusion. Whereas in divergent thinking we help them explore different directions and find creative solutions. Using mathematics we train a student to develop logical thinking thereby improving his convergent thinking.
The unique and the best aspect of this program is that it works independent of any grading systems and hence the students will be encouraged to take intellectual risks. The program stresses on questioning and looking at the proofs of various mathematical concepts so as to understand the thought process behind its origin and encourage the students to develop a research attitude. The program also tries to knit together various topics of algebra and geometry, and encourage students to think about its applications in the real-life scenarios.
Highlights of the program:
1. Conceptual understanding of secondary/higher secondary level Mathematics along with reasoning
2. Proving theorems so as to understand the thought process behind the same
3. Learning Mathematical concepts beyond the curriculum and encouraging its application in daily life
4. Group discussions on various Mathematical topics to improve the skills of communication
5. Creating a pool of like-minded students who can share their knowledge base, encourage, motivate and get motivated by the fellow students
Target of the program
At the end of the program, the student will be able to understand higher secondary level Mathematics and correlate different topics, thereby getting a holistic view of the subject. The student will be able to appreciate the application of Mathematical concepts in varied areas and hence understand those subjects better too.
Areas covered under the program
1. Similarity, Triangles & Circles
2. Trigonometry (special mention to ancient Indian Mathematics)
3. Co-ordinate Geometry & Straight Lines
4. Number Theory
5. Averages & Dispersion (with special mention to sports)
6. Correlation & Regression
8. Equations – Simple, Quadratic and Solving Linear Indeterminate Equations
9. Permutations & Combinations
10. Sets, Functions
11. Introduction to Calculus
13. Basics of Financial Mathematics
- Prof. Mandar Bhanushe (M.Sc. M.Phil. in Mathematics from University of Mumbai) – Working as Assistant Professor in Institute of Distance and Open Learning in University of Mumbai. He has conducted workshops on Free Open Source Software like Geogebra and Latex, and on Learning Management Systems like Moodle. This year he was the receiver of the prestigious National Award for Best Education Webinar Series at Indian Education Congress in May 2013.
- R Hariharan (CA, NET, M.Com) – Currently coaching for CA (CPT, IPCC and Final) students, CAT aspirants and students appearing for Olympiad exams. Prof. Hariharan has also completed five papers in Acturial Science and was also the receiver of the esteemed Chandramouli Award from the ICAI for best paper in Mathematics in PE-1. Inside the classroom, he brings to his sutdent’s attention the application of Mathematics & Statistics in Finance and Economics.
- Vinay Nair (M.Com) – Head of School of Vedic Maths, he conducts workshops, courses, camps, online classes and seminars on Vedic Mathematics and ancient Indian mathematics in different parts of the country. He has authored an online course material on Vedic Mathematics for Chinmaya International Foundation, and also published a book named ‘The Teacher Who Taught Us To Think’. His articles feature regularly in Malayalam newspapers, International and e-magazines.
Duration and Fees
The program will be a 6-day residential program at Uttan Vividh Lakshyee Shikshan Sanstha, Ram Ratna Vidyamandir, Keshav Srushti, Gorai Road, Uttan Bhayander (West), Mumbai – 401106.
Dates: 5th – 10th May 2014.
Website of the host school: http://www.ramratnavidyamandir.org/
It will be a fully funded program so that the students get it free of cost. If you wish to donate for this noble cause, you may send your donations as a cheque in favour of Uttan Vividh Lakshyee Shikshan Sanstha to – Mr. Vinay Nair, 6, Siddhivinayak, Opp. Krishna Sudama Bldg, Nandivli Road, Dombivli (East), Thane dist, Maharashtra. PIN – 421 201.
Last date of acceptance of application forms: 15th Feb 2014